Mercury Circle 31/08/2004

We were singing along to Chuck Berry’s ‘My Ding-a-Ling’ when Freddie came through…

Freddie… ‘Hello darlings… what a load of rubbish, I’m trying hard to understand, I find it all unbelievable, I can’t believe how stupid you all are, you really are only trying to contact us… You’re not trying to frighten us are you dears!!! Oh ding-a-ling, I’ve heard it all now’

Nick… ‘Did you like that one?’

Freddie… ‘No…’

Daisy… ‘You sound different tonight’

Freddie… ‘I’m trying hard to… bear with me for a while… I’ll try to move forward, silly bugger, I’m too frightened to you see dears, I’m used to more sophistication…
I’m only joking you know, yes, well you certainly made conversation over here with your ding-a-ling… yes I remember that… trying to forget it…’

Nick… ‘You didn’t think of doing a cover version of it then?’

Freddie… ‘No… some things are private aren’t they...
As usual lovely to be here speaking with you for you’re all my favourite flowers. Bear with us, will speak to you as best I can…’

The voice broke up and we put the music back on. It sounded like several people were experimenting with different voices. After a few tunes we turned it down again…

Nick… ‘Did you want to speak with us?’

Communicator… ‘Through, through, through… No, no, no, I know…’

Nick… ‘What do you know?’

Comm… ‘I know, I do, I know very good, very good yes, busy people…’

Nick… ‘Do you want us to put the music back on?’

Comm… ‘No… This is very busy, very little information for you… no, no, no you wouldn’t understand for it is not for you…’

Nick… ‘We’d be very interested to hear whatever you have to say’

Comm… ‘Not a lot, not a lot, for there are many people working, very busy, please excuse, we are very involved with things, the conversation is not very fluent’

Nick… ‘That’s okay, we understand’

Comm… ‘For we are working so hard as I have repeatedly said, very busy, we’re furthering our cause, hope you are all very comfortable with us’

All ‘Yes’

Caroline… ‘Have you spoken before?’

Comm… ‘No… You see there are many, many people here and everyone has the opportunity to speak with you… some people take to it easier than others… so it’s not that we are not organized. Everyone gets an opportunity to have a word just to see how they operate and how they can communicate with you and you see we are able to see who’s who and what’s what, what people are fit for, it’s very interesting’

Daisy… ‘We can understand every word you say’

Comm… ‘Very good, I’m very happy to hear you say that. We just want to see who can communicate well and who can’t’

Michael… ‘My name is Michael and I came here with Aids’

Daisy… ‘Nice to meet you Michael, have you been there long?’

Michael… ‘I don’t know, I don’t know, maybe about six or seven years, something like that… you may not necessarily have heard about me you see I’m a friend of Colin and Freddie. You know what it’s like, stamped on your toes and nasty things that happen when you have Aids’

Daisy… ‘It’s lovely to have you here tonight’

Michael… ‘I’m fading now dear…’

Nick… ‘You’ve done very well, please come again if you can’

Freddie... ‘I must apologize for my earlier behaviour, we were working and getting ourselves organized, anyway I hope you are all very well’

All… ‘Yes we are’

Freddie… ‘That’s good, good tin soldiers… hello boys’

Nick… ‘Hello Freddie’

Freddie… ‘Don’t you tease me dear, I’m coming to get you’

Daisy… ‘There seems to be an awful lot of people on your side tonight’

Freddie… ‘Yes, but there always is you see dear, always lots of people, but we’re becoming more familiar with you… aren’t we boys… you’re very quiet Neddie’

Travis… ‘Yes, I’m just listening’

Freddie… ‘You’re frightened aren’t you…
We thought we’d better end on a simple note so they sent me… Could you hear the voices darlings, clever us, exciting, and I believe my friend Michael has introduced himself’

All… ‘Yes very interesting’

Freddie… ‘Yes he is a nice chap, very nice chap, these things happen as you know’

Daisy… ‘And that was the first time he’d communicated’

Freddie… ‘Yes’

Nick… ‘He did very well’

Freddie… ‘Well some do and some don’t. I think he was trying to explain that to you… I’m becoming a little faint, I’m fading away… Dear, dear boy, where do you get your music?’

Nick… ‘Most of it was okay’

Freddie… ‘Show your wrist… anyway dear you music was very jolly, it amused us, it’s given a few people a few ideas about ding-a-lings…
I remember that one, that’s old Chuck Berry, the old tart’s seen him, he’s a good chap, a bit of history there, I liked his music, very enjoyable’

Travis… ‘Freddie has your father now joined you?’

Freddie… ‘He is over here’

Daisy… ‘We read something in the papers’

Freddie… ‘Yes he didn’t approve of my lifestyle… my father was over here for quite a long time’

Caroline… ‘Are you suggesting that when people are dying they visit your side and then come back here like when they are in and out of consciousness?’

Freddie… ‘On some occasions yes, we know that a person is coming over and we bring close people who have been with them all their lives. They draw close to them and gently ease them into this world. It’s very, very beautifully done and some are not aware but others are aware. You see if some were aware they would be very frightened even though we tread very softly and gently and kindly’

Caroline… ‘Do they think they are dreaming?’

Freddie… ‘They might, some are very, very frightened. We do try, we try very hard but you know some people do see for instance their parents, a child, a husband or wife or friend and they are absolutely delighted… and then when they have been here for a while they join in with the activities, they go to concerts… anyway darlings I have to go now, play the music for a little while then Tob wants to come and say goodbye… same place, same time… au revoir darlings’

All… ‘Au revoir Freddie’

After two tunes Tob came through…

Tob… ‘The energy go, I have little to say… I go. I give you light, I wish you light in your day and light the way for others with your light… au revoir’

All… ‘Au revoir Tob’